5.19.2011

Pepper's Deli & Bar-B-Q


Ever since I moved to St. Louis, I've been looking for a good, local deli. You know, the kind with killer sandwiches and tasty sides. A small place that doesn't feel like a chain. Somewhere that has a wall cooler full of drinks and a dessert display case that just begs you to indulge.

I finally found one and it even has a bonus. Bar-B-Q!

Some friends and I were looking for a place to grab some lunch. We wanted something that wasn't too pricey, was local, and possibly someplace we hadn't been to before (after all, I do have a blog to maintain;).

Once again I pulled out my phone and opened my trusty urbanspoon app. Side note: Seriously, everyone...if you don't have this app, you really need to get it. Lifesaver.

Anyways, I shake it up and find a deli that just happens to be within a few miles of our current location. 95% of people rated that they like it? Awesome! Average meal under $10? Bonus!

When we wandered into this semi-hidden location, it was just what we expected. A deli. Not pretentious, not overdone, just some simple tables, lots of beverage options and a huge menu.

I went with the Chopped Angus Brisket. The beef was smoked for 16 hours, chopped and piled high on a plain egg, onion, or whole wheat bun. I chose the onion bun with a side of creamy potato salad. Add a drink on the side and the whole thing came out under eight dollars. Great meal at a great value.

Though I choose the brisket this time, I can't wait to go back and try the sandwiches. One of my friends got the BLT and it was practically bigger than her head. No skimpy and scarce strips of bacon for this sandwich. This guy was loaded down with hickory smoked high grade pork.

The brisket and potato salad were a generous portion, so next time I'll be sure to save room for the ginormous cookies they have in their display case.

There was only one person working, which slowed down the line a little. He did a great job of getting our meals out to us but if you go during a busy time I would recommend that you don't go in a rush.

Pepper's will definitely be regularly visited by myself and everyone that was in my group. The food was good and the prices can't be beat.

All in all, it's good to see that the old fashioned, privately owned deli still has its place in a chain dominated industry.

Fork Rating


Price Range
$5 - $10

Location
32 Clarkson Rd
Ellisville, MO 63011

Pepper's Deli & Bar-B-Q on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

Sam Norton said...

Hi! I was the kid working that day you came in I'm glad to see you wrote such an excellent review about our restaurant! Thank you soo much it really means alot because we are trying to drive business. Follow our Facebook page @facebook.com/peppersbbq. Again thank you this is an excellent review!!! :)