5.31.2011

The Malt Shop

In my mind, and according to my stomach, Summer has always equaled ice cream. I remember when my mom would give me some change, put me on my bike and send me off to get a cone from the shop down the road. I'd have to perform a balancing act worthy of a circus performer to make it home without dropping my treat on the ground, but was it ever worth it.

Nowadays, with most people thinking first of chain ice cream shops when it comes time for a frozen concoction, The Malt Shop is an opportunity to get back to some basics.

If you're looking for something upscale and chic, it is not the place for you. But if you want a quick and tasty trip back in time so simpler days, you have to check out this little hideaway.
















There isn't any indoor seating, but there are some great picnic benches where you can gather round to enjoy some classic burgers, sides, and of course, desserts.

I tried a cheeseburger, a couple fries, tasted some jalapeno poppers, and rounded it all out with a classic chocolate malt. As one of my old friends used to say,"Ice cream doesn't fill you up. It just fills in the cracks."

The cheeseburger was basic but delicious. The fries were good enough, but not outstanding. The jalapeno poppers were hot and creamy. The malt was thick and full of flavor.

We sat around for a few hours enjoying our food and the fine weather. None of us wanted to go and get back to the rush of everyday life. I think that might be one of my favorite things about this place...it's an escape. It's set off the main road on a quiet, tree lined street. There isn't anyone rushing you off of your table and there's more options for food than anyone could ask for.

So come here and let yourself forget everything else, including your calorie count, for a little while. Let yourself be a kid again. I guarantee you won't regret it.

Fork Rating




Price Range
$2 - $8

Location
1751 Smizer Station Rd
Fenton, MO 63026

Malt Shop on Urbanspoon

No comments: