7.12.2011

McGurk's Irish Pub & Garden

Let me start out by saying that I am a dyed in the wool, Braveheart loving, claddagh wearing, haggis eating Scottish girl.

Had to say it.

Just to be clear.

Now that we're on the same page, I have a confession. I love this Irish pub.

I feel like a wee bit of a traitor. But I can't help it. It has earned it's rating as one of the top 10 Irish pubs in America.









Let me set this up for you.

It was a dark and stormy night. The concert that I had VIP passes for was rained out. *Cue wailing and gnashing of teeth*

Instead of spending the night at home bemoaning our fate, my friends and I decided we wanted to go out. To someplace "lively". We wanted food and music. We wanted a good time to wash all our troubles away.

Out comes my trusty phone (or secretary as my friend calls it) to open the urbanspoon app and do some restaurant finding magic.

After a couple shakes with no luck (too expensive, been there, doesn't have good reviews) McGurk's popped up. Asked around, found the word on the street indicated it was good.

Right as I walked in, I heard some lively Irish music. It was great. There was a big bar facing the band area, people were singing along, waving their pints in the air and having an all around great time. I felt like I had been transported to the Emerald Isle. I looked for leprechauns, I was that pulled in.

The kitchen was just about to close but the hostess graciously said that if we swore to order fast, she would get us taken care of.

A quick skim of the menu showed me a wide range of fares. With the time clock breathing heavily down my neck, I picked the fish and chips. So did 95% of the rest of the table. We were all either going to be happy together, or sad together.

The good news is that we were all more than happy. We were delighted. You can do a large or a small order of this entree. The small was perfectly portioned for all the ladies at the table. The fish comes in small, fantastically fried squares. Little nuggets of goodness. The chips, much to my surprise, were potato chips. They're made fresh at the restaurant.

All in all, the food was filling and satisfying, the atmosphere was great and the music lifted our previously dejected spirits. Oh, and speaking of spirits, there's multiple full bars with great selections.

I'm still fanatically Scottish. But, I guess that every once in a while a truce can be made to take a quick visit to McGurk's.

Fork Rating

Price Range
$10 - $20

Location
1200 Russell Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63104

John D. McGurk's Irish Pub on Urbanspoon

No comments: